Sunday, June 7, 2009

Unprepared For Swedish Weather

I wouldn't say miserable is the right word. Not even unpleasant. Maybe uncomfortable is the best word to use for our trip thus far.

We started out when it was cold and slightly rainy. It's funny what goes through one's head at a time like that; I was totally trying to negotiate with the weather. Ok, ok, I can handle wind but absolutely no rain. Fine. Be that way, I can survive the rain but under no circumstances can I deal with the dreadfully gray day. If you're going to rain on me at least give me some blue sky and occasional glimpses of sun. Nope, no, no. Absolutely my last offer. I won't budge any more than that.

As if that would do anything what-so-ever.

We took the ferry over to Sweden--from Helsingor to Helsingberg. It was super fast and cost less than a cup of coffee, 20 kroner. We got here around 8pm and then set out to find some place to sleep. We knew that you could camp anywhere but we never bothered to really look into it; are they serious about anywhere? What about in the city? Do people bother you? I mean really? We decided to go outside of town a bit and hopefully run into some field or a park.

The place we chose ended up being behind an elementary school, wedged between a birch forest and the sandbox, about 50 from the school itself. We waited a minute to see if anyone came by and then set up camp because it was twilight by that time and freaking cold. We nestled in out sleeping bags and about 20 minutes later we heard voices. We picked a place that was out of the way! And there was no path through the woods. No reason to come over. It totally freaked us out. It was a little scary after that with the absolute worst scenarios running through our heads. I think Kat's bad thought took the cake: someone could come a pour lighter fluid over our tent and set it on fire. Oh it was awful! Needless to say, we didn't get very much sleep at all and at the first light of day we took off into town. (oh, and the voices were just two parents and a little kid...hahaha, but really. freaked us out.)

We asked at the tourist office the next morning about the details of camping anywhere and the lady scoffed at us when we asked about being safer in the camp ground or anywhere else. Safety is just not an issue here.

We rode our bikes into the hills around town the next day, which was flag day and again, for the umpteenth time since I've been here, it was a holiday and everything was closed. Our friend, Johannes, his cousin and her boyfriend came into town and we all went to watch the soccer game between Denmark and Sweden. Seems like the only places to drink around here are Irish pubs. Ha, oh the drinking Irish. Sweden ended up losing and to drown Jo's tears, we went to yet another Irish pub and kept drinking. It was a lot of fun and because Kat and I haven't been drinking much at all and because we've been eating fruits and bread a lot, we got tanked. Couldn't even make it very far outside of town to camp that night. In fact, we didn't even make it past the center of town, next to the ocean. We pitched our tent right on the grassy promenade by the sea and promptly fell fast asleep. I only really woke up to voices calling Swedish dog names as they sniffed around our tent. Whoops. But totally safe and totally fine.

Today it's cold and windy again and I've developed a cold. I hoped it was just a killer hangover, but nope. My throat is raw and sore and I'm totally achy all over. Sucks. We've decided to head south in the next week or so in search of warmer weather. I think it's just the shitty weather, not enough clothing, and having to spend so much time outside that has left my immune system in the gutter. But I have faith that warmer weather will be the best cure.

Oh! This morning we finally 'bathed'. I figure I can make it about 3 days before it's essential that I bath in some way. We camped out in the handicapped bathroom at this cultural center and washed our hair and feet in the sink. Amazing how clean hair can make one feel like a new person. We've been changing socks and underwear daily and brushing our teeth, but really, because it's so cold, we both have on pretty much our entire collection of clothing. So changing our clothing is not really an option...mixing up exactly which shirt is next to my skin is the only option I have. I day dream about being girlie again one day...

3 comments:

  1. That's the good thing about roughing it--when you do something as simple as wash your hair or clean your clothes it makes you feel like a million bucks.

    That and you ladies have prolly got so much damn character by now that you don't know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Denmark won! Oh and yeah, I'd say you'll be as safe as anything staying in some forest, it's scary as hell in the beginning, but it'll get easier over time I'm sure! And practically nobody is carying lighterfluid in the forest!

    Sorry I didn't get to give you my bike maps, please be sure to stop by Workcycles in Amsterdam and tell them I'll send the pictures and email soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Thorbjorn! Yeah, yeah, we totally saw that Denmark won...in fact, we were sitting right in front of a whole slew of Danes who cheered rather loudly. Congratulations to the Danes!

    ReplyDelete