Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Other Observations About Denmark

Today while Kat was at her internship, I went around Copenhagen and just wandered around, getting lost and then getting my bearings again by pulling out my large tourist map. I finally found my way to a record store in search of Danish music. I have a mission to find one album of native music from each country that Kat and I visit this summer. The guy behind the counter gave me a couple cd's to listen to, including Moon Gringo which I quite liked. All the albums he gave me were in English and I was looking for some straight up Danish music. So he gave me Under Byen saying that they are super popular here right now and I couldn't go wrong with them, so that's what I grabbed. I asked if there was such a thing as Danish soul and he guy laughed and said that they only rock in Denmark.

Some other things I have noticed about Denmark:

They are incredibly active people. On our mini-trip we passed an entire store dedicated to Squash. Squash! Honestly, I had to google that because I only had a vague idea of what that game entailed. We regularly see grandmothers riding their bikes to the market for dinner supplies. And I've seen several rather large strictly badminton halls as well.

On the way up to Helsingor, all these amazing cars kept passing us. Vintage cars that had been restored and looked phenomenal. There were a whole variety of cars which I can't identify but that were just really fun to see fly by those of us on bikes. I don't think I've seen this many old cars just out on the road before.


The other day we were going to the Carnivale parade with Thorbjorn and an American lady and her family came up to him and asked if he spoke English and then asked for directions. When she left he laughed and told us, 'She asked me if I spoke English!' Kat and I kind of raised our eyebrows at each other and took mental note, don't ask Danish people if they speak English. Period. Just start talking. Previously people would start talking to us and we would do this ridiculous, 'uhhh, uhhh, English?'-straight up like a deer in the headlights. So now we just launch into it and it seems to be working.

2 comments:

  1. i think this is a 53 porscha cool as hell but all in all just a vw on staroids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I'd still drive it! And wear a scarf around my head to complete the picture.

    ReplyDelete