Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sour Lemon Milk & Cookies

Kathleen here, Rachel has finally worn me down.

Tomorrow we are leaving on our bike trip. That marks the end of week 3 of my stay in Copenhagen, and week four of my trip so far.

Happenings & Findings:

It took 36 hours for me to fly from Austin to Amsterdam. All I have to say about that is check to make sure your layovers aren't 8 hours each. And cuddling your bike box in the airport is not the same as cuddling your sweet boyfriend. Not a happy start.

In Amsterdam I stayed with my sister Arden, who is studying at the Rietveld Academie. My first taste of biking Europe was a short bike trip (about 45 miles) to the sea from Amsterdam with my dear friend Jesse. The bike paths in the Netherlands are amazing. There are signs everywhere, and the paths tend to stay away from the main roads. It was really flat, really green, baby sheep and rabbits everywhere.. I can see why people say it is the best biking in Europe. I don't know that I understand the mini horses everywhere, but I was totally diggin it.
I have to say that I agree with Rachel that it is amazing to have your own bike, however, I would never take my bike with me again. The $300 the airlines charge each way is out of control, and the actual hauling of the bike threw airports is worth a good hundred or so in my book, which all in all would buy you a nice shiny new bike here in Copenhagen. Or whatever city you are traveling to. Though, I would pack a good saddle to stick on whatever bike you get. As Rachel mentioned, you just cant mess with your girlie bits.

My wallet was stolen on my first night here. In part, I have to blame myself. I was in Nørrport Station, which is the 'ghetto' if you can consider anything in Copenhagen as ghetto, at 1am, with my purse open and a giant box filled with bike bits demanding the full attention of both of my hands. I was asking for it. So I had literally no money, no phone, no food, and no way of fixing it until Monday rolled around. Copenhagen with no money was interesting; a walk threw City, a nap in the park, and a little train hopping can be a full day.
I have been staying in Nørrebro for all 3 weeks. It is supposed to be the dangerous part of town because in the last few months there has been a rise in crime in the area. My hosts explained that the rise is due to the cities efforts to clean up the drug sales in Christiania, now the "pushers" are moving into other parts of the city. Its also where all the hip kids hang out, fully decked out in their short skirts and leggings. The biking fashion is fabulous!
The Danish have a very different attitude towards social graces then we Texans. Small talk in nonexistent, and even after being introduced to someone, they don't find it necessary to make conversation. So meeting people has been hard. I have managed to meet a few find folks, however. My internship at Anne Black introduced me to some very talented designers, and taught me that ceramicists can actually make money! Horray! For all the artists out there, I would absolutely recommend finding internships or apprenticeships while traveling. Even if it is only for a week. It is priceless to see the inter-workings of a studio. I also learned so much about the culture... Think; sour lemon milk with cookies, eaten with a spoon. I don't know the danish name, but it translates directly to "milk bowl". More to follow on Danish tradition...

No comments:

Post a Comment