Monday, June 15, 2009

Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude

After biking 241 miles, both of our bodies have changed in visible ways.

On the good side: We have chiseled triceps! And our biceps are slowly following suit from having to hold our bodies up while we ride. When there´s no one else on the road and we can ride along side each other and talk while sitting more upright, this is the time when they get the best workout, as opposed to when we´re hauling ass and we drop down to the lower handle. Oh, the curved road-bike handle bars are the best for long distance riding since they offer the most varied hand positions.

The backs of our thighs, our hamstrings, are crazy buff. Last night I finally took off my leggings and sat with my feet drawn up to my butt, and my hamstrings just stick right out of my legs! As in, there is a significant bulge where I previously had none. It´s a little on the ´not hot´ list in my opinion.

On the bad side: Our butts are getting flat! I´m used to having a bit of a bubble butt and frankly, it´s the one big round thing on my body that I actually like. I´m in the Jennifer Lopez camp on this one. But now, the thing is getting flat. I´d like to think that it´s because of the fact that I´m getting totally buff, but who knows. My other round thing, my belly, is definitely in tact on account of our daily morning pastries and afternoon ice creams, complete with lots of whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. Your WW photo there caught my eye. Most people don't think about cycling being good for their arms (or their core). Everyone seems to know the benefits to one's legs. And I have to say that I put a nice outward curve in the hamstring in the totally hot category. Here's hoping your butt comes back after your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'll have to adjust my thinking in the hot category department!

    ReplyDelete