Friday, June 26, 2009

Passing Of Eras


Michael Jackson's death is not only headlining national news in the States, it is also the case in Holland. Amsterdam has gotten back on the MJ bandwagon after so many scandal ridden years that left one to believe that to be a Michael J fan was to be in the utmost of bad taste. The coffee shop that we spend the first 1.5hrs of each day reading and drinking the most expensive Americano ever, was playing a day-long MJ tribute. The guy who pulled up next to me on his bike at the red light was blaring Blood On The Dance Floor. And there was a dance party in the square on Leidseplein tonight that had every hip swaying. I do love myself some dancing in the streets.
Kat was saying this morning that she was really sad about the whole affair, to my dubiously raised eyebrows. I felt way more sad over the death of Heath Ledger than Michael J for some reason. However, I do think it's a passing of an era, especially for our generation who came of age during Thriller.

I have to post my favorite Michael Jackson song that I first heard during the Michael J 50th Birthday sing-a-long at the Alamo Drafthouse earlier this year; a favorite despite my better judgments.

No comments:

Post a Comment