Friday, June 19, 2009

Kathleen on the Swedish and rose tattoos.

I have somehow downed a huge dose of culture on this trip. High on my list of cultural awesomeness is Johannes' mom, who's name I will apparently never be able to remember. I sort of like her better as "Jo's mom" anyway. She is quintessentially mom, and to me, quintessentially Swedish. 

She says "Neeehhh, neh Johannes (Jo-han-nes), neeehhhh" like its sentence glue, sticking together her very cute way of speaking english fragments. She kind of rushes into the room, like a little happy tornado, talking to everyone and laughing and offering lots of bread and drinks and pastries while getting out sweaters and slippers and showing you where the three pink towels she left out for you are. It is kind of amazing. I get the feeling that this is a Swedish custom, to make sure your guests are absolutely taken care of, and fattened. I learned that weekend that it is necessary to always bring with you a little treat for your host - even if, as in Jo's moms case, its your sister who you see every single day - you still need to bring a little something. As well, after each visit you must call within a day or two (two at the latest, Jo got fussed at because he had waited two days to call his Aunt, it was a very big deal) and "Thank them for the latest". How darling! "thank you for the latest" I just love to say it. 

Johannes is a writer, and his mom had just finished her book on my last visit, so it could just be that story telling runs in the family, but I like to think that this is a Swedish thing too. She told lots of stories about going to school in Sweden, and throwing huge parties that she would sel entrance tickets to. Likewise, shes a great audiance. Everytime I told a story, it seems pretty well recieved and she never ever disagreed. That was until I said, "I cant wait to be in Berlin, we will eat tons of bratwurst... I'll get my tattoo..." to which she cut me off with "NEEEEEHHHHHH!". It was so out of charactor that we all just laughed. All but she of course, who was already describing an old, wrinkly tattoo of a rose she once saw on the rear of an older woman at the sauna. "It just hung there! But lucky for her, she couldnt see it". 

I am really glad that I met her, and saw how friends treat eachother. How hosts treat guests. I think I have mentioned this before, but it really threw me off when people where "mean" to me in both Sweden and Denmark. She reiterated what the danes had said, that it is just a cultural difference. There is just none of this, "hiiiii, how arrrreeee you?" sweetness, fake or not, that we have in the states. As evedence to the blunt nature of conversation, she told us that just that morning, when she (being the amazing Swedish hostess) had gone to the store in search of meds for Rachel (who was sick with a cold), asked the man at the store if that had any natural medicines, to which he replied with a snort, "I dont believe in that shit". Not, "Oh no, I am sorry" but just a clean, strait answer. 

I cant remember who said it, but I was told that it is because the Swedish keep their friends for life, so why would you be nice to everyone you meet? You have to be selective. I like to think that that is true. But all in all, I still like when my coffee shop boy says "hi" in the morning with a smile. 

Oh, and needless to say, I didn't get a tattoo in Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment