Friday, June 26, 2009

Onslaught Of Pictures

Before I begin this onslaught, let's have a little geekery shall we? Etymology of onslaught: is a modification on the Dutch word aanslag, the act of striking.  While in Holland, might as well use mangled versions of Dutch words, no?

"Reunited and it feels so good..."
I finally made it to Copenhagen after the most hellacious Delta flight ever.  Felt so relieved when I saw lovely Kat in the airport.  Here we are actually sitting on top of a public urinal along a canal in Copenhagen.  Our 'character building' began early in the trip.

This is our 'home' in Helsingborg, Sweden.  After the one and only drunken night on this trip so far, this was as far as we made it in search of a good camping place.  We made it as far as those trash cans on the right.  We stayed here a couple nights.  The sea is to the left of the photo.

We saw this graphic in the elevator at the train station in Sweden.  Um?  Riding an elevator can occasionally be quite irksome, so it seems.  I really love diagrams. 

Fixing Kat's flat tire in the German rain after a night of camping in a field of manure.  Our tools for getting the tire off of the rim can be seen by my feet--a credit card and a key.

This is what the first two weeks of our biking trip looked like.

So when it finally warmed up and stopped raining, we were so, so happy.  Kat, farmland, and Germany.

Just above Berlin we came to an impasse.  The map looked like we crossed the river, yet there was no bridge.  There is a little boat, to the right, that goes back and forth all day along between the two docks, toting cyclists across for 1 euro.  I don't think I understand why they don't just build a bridge, but I have to say that the whole affair warmed my heart by how cute it all was.

Oh my good lord.  We finally made it to the center of Berlin after getting lost for two hours in the suburbs and stopped at the first damn beer and bratwurst joint we could find.  We're a little tweaked out at this point.

One of the 'beach houses' on the western coast of Holland that we went to on a day trip from Amsterdam.  

2 comments:

  1. I bought a bike today! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! So are you going to ride from Prague and meet us in Frankfurt?! Say it's so!

    ReplyDelete