Thursday, June 4, 2009

Joy Dance!

Dude! I feel like a total bad-ass right now!!! Yay! Kat's bike chain broke the other day, just snapped in two, so I went on youtube and tried to figure out how to fix it. Today I did our laundry in the bathroom sink (dish soap is the best to get clothes clean), put on Imelda May and Kitty, Daisy, & Lewis (totally digging the rockabilly sound right now), and got to work.

Since I didn't know what I was doing, it took me much longer--didn't know how far the connecting pin could go before it would fall out which, according to the video, would be impossible to put back in. An hour later it's all fixed! And my hands are totally black from the grease...which only adds to my feeling of total bad-ass right now!



Going to launch into bike talk:

When going on a cycling trip through Europe, the first thing that comes up is whether to bring your own bike or to buy/rent one over here. After going through a big hassle to get mine to Copenhagen, I would still bring my own. I've been scoping out bikes around town and they are mainly cruiser style or internal shifting bikes-both of which I think would be a pain to take on a really long ride and harder to fix. Before I came, Conner and his brother fixed mine up into this sweet hybrid bike that's totally perfect. He also showed me how to take it apart and then made me put it back together myself which was sooo invaluable. After that, and with youtube, I feel totally confident that I could fix most anything on this bike. We also got this multi-tool that is an absolute necessity too.
Biking trails in Denmark are really nice; they go by the sea a lot and into the woods that have jasmine growing alongside of the trails which smells amazing. However, they aren't super well labeled. A couple times Kat and I got off of the trail by accident and had to find our way back, but that didn't add very much time to the whole trip--just don't zone out too much and forget to keep an eye out for the occasional directional signs (they're small and low to the ground, easy to miss).

1 comment: