Sunday, August 2, 2009

Calamity Avoided

I must confess that I'm surprised by how smoothly our Greek vacation has been going. I'm used to Kat and I making endlessly questionable decisions. Yesterday Conner and I, on my suggestion, began hiking up the steep and winding road from the port of Adamas to the hilltop capital of Plaka. It looked like it was a super short distance on the map and I figured it would be an adventure and we could save money on the bus fare.

Now, there are now sidewalks along the roads which are barely wide enough for two cars, and they're rather slick so the car tires are always squealing around the many bends. I could see it happening that Kat and I would both stubbornly press on and two hours later, hot, exhausted, and irritable, we wouldn't be much closer to Plaka than a pin dot. But they would be some good stories after the pain had subsided.

Conner however, after 15 minutes of hugging the small space between the road and the cliff, had the good sense to insist on going back to town and taking the bus to the rugged southern beaches-took all of a 5 minutes bus ride for 2.30 euros.

Calamity avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment